Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ask the Bar Man, Jeff Faile


Part of my job is to describe certain liquors and answer questions about how people should make drinks at home. If we're busy at the bar, it's hard for me to go as in depth as I'd like to. A new feature in the bar newsletter allows you to ask any and all questions you'd like. Fire away! Send your questions to info@fioladc.com.

Q. What’s your favorite cocktail? Ben from Shaw

A. People often ask me that when I’m behind the bar, and I usually respond with two words, “bourbon, neat.” While that’s not far off from the truth, I do have a few go to cocktails when I go out. My top 3 cocktails, in no particular order, are the Vieux Carre (rye, cognac, sweet vermouth, Benedictine, peychaud and angostura bitters), the Bijou (gin, sweet vermouth, and green chartreuse), and a good Manhattan (rye or bourbon and sweet vermouth).

If you take a closer look, all of those cocktails are on the darker side and all are rather herbaceous. Of course, I’m writing this during the winter time which could be influencing my preferences a tad. During the summer time, I’m not opposed to a good Gin Rickey (air conditioning in a glass) or gin gimlet. Of course, a classic gin and tonic is always in play, too.

Then again, a bourbon, neat sounds fantastic right now.

Cheers.

- Jeff

Jeff Faile
Bar Manager & Mixologist